Breaking

Friday 6 October 2017

Oscar reveals he has one regret about leaving Chelsea for China

Nine months on from leaving Chelsea midfielder Oscar says he is happy in China, but admits he does have one regret about the move.

Oscar reveals he has one regret about leaving Chelsea for China

The Brazilian quit Stamford Bridge to join Shanghai SIPG for around £60million during the January transfer window.

The move surprised many with Oscar, still now only 26, in the prime of his career.

The two-time Premier League winner has admitted money was the motivating factor behind the switch.

‘When I made my decision to come here, I was certainly thinking more of my family than of my career,’ he told Copa90. ‘Because in my career I had other very good offers from big teams in Europe. But I thought a little more of my family, and after that – I am still young – I can return.

‘Whatever decision I make, somebody will talk good or bad about it, you know?’

To make it clear a switch to China was for financial reasons, Oscar revealed he turned down a move to Atletico Madrid and three Italian clubs.

‘When I was talking with Shanghai, I was talking to big clubs from Europe, as well. There was Atletico Madrid, who I almost joined. I liked them very much and what they were offering me at the time. There was also Juventus, Inter Milan, and AC Milan. I had some options. But I opted for Shanghai and afterwards I can still return to Europe.’

Oscar reveals he has one regret about leaving Chelsea for China
Oscar says he believes a return to Europe, possibly with Chelsea, is likely in the next few years but for now he is content.

‘I also arrived early in Europe. I arrived at the age of 19, 20 and remained five years at Chelsea. I won two Premier League championships, I played a lot – I won a championship with the Brazil team too. So although I left very young, I also started very young, but I can also think of returning afterwards too. This is in the future, which nobody knows, but right now I am very happy to have made this decision.’

But while Oscar is happy with his decision to have left Chelsea, he does have one regret. By moving to China he has found himself overlooked at international level. With the World Cup looming his choice of move could see him miss out on next summer’s tournament in Russia.

‘Of course it would be much better, much easier to be a part of the Brazil national team. So here it certainly got more difficult as I don’t have the same visibility as when I played in Europe. But my level of football is the same. This is a decision for the coach of the national team, to do what’s best for Brazil.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly drop your comment here